Mick Gordon's legacy discussion

Mick did an amazing job with the soundtrack. It was one of the things that got me interested in the game. I’ve already mentioned this plenty of times already, but I don’t actually own KI despite me being a big fan. I want to play it but I don’t own an Xbox One. I love to watch it though, I watch tons of videos and streams.

But anyway, when a new character would come out I would get excited because 1) I would have something new to watch. 2) I like seeing the game evolve. 3) I would have an awesome new track to listen to.

Mick was awesome. I don’t know how many times I’ve listened to music from KI.

1 Like

I dunno. I don’t really have any desire to speculate on why he left. The point is that he’s gone from the game, but he leaves a lasting legacy of phenomenal tracks. I actually listen to Orchid’s and Kan Ra’s themes in my car. Not sure I’ve done that with any other game music.

Sure, there were some tracks that I personally wasn’t as in to as much as others, but taken as a whole, I’d still say it’s the best fighting game soundtrack I’ve ever heard and it’s up there with some elite company in video games as a whole.

As for Atlas Plug and Celldweller, I haven’t heard much from the former, but what I’ve heard from the latter is pretty awesome. I’m REALLY excited to hear what they put together for season 3!

Thanks again, Mick!! You’re one of a kind, man. Hope to hear more of your stuff in other games soon! :grin:

It’s Mick himself, he confirmed it on Twitter… it was his “way to say goodbye” man I almost choked up when I read that.

Ive been playing guitar for 27 years and that guitar piece at the end of Omens track is awesome! its not to flashy…very Hendrix like… I love it! Made me immedietly pickup my guitar and start fiddling around withthe KI theme like that! I plan on doing some of the KI songs my self in my studio like that LIL V guy does…just for fun! :smile:

So if thats Mick playing guitar on ALL of the tracks…he is awesome! and def a fan of 7 string! lol

I don’ t know why he left and I won’t speculate as to why. I will enjoy the music that was made for the game, his version of the KI theme is what I always thought it should be. Obviously there are some track that I enjoy more than others but I’m glad that he was able to work on 2 seasons of the game. I wish him the best in future endeavors and look forward to hearing more of DOOM.
I am very excited to see what some new blood will bring to the franchise.

He didn’t had a month. I think he said they gave him 2 days or something like that.

Mick was the best. He had so much respect and admiration for the original stuff. He did so well at making themes new while paying homages, or evolving classic themes. The absolute best fighting game soundtrack. I’m so sad to see him go. I’ll definitely be keeping an ear out for whatever else he works on.

The Riptor theme that we have in-game was made in two days. Considering that, I’m ok with it. I’ve also been listening to that on the OST, and it’s actually a lot closer to Riptor’s old theme than we thought. You can hear the old theme under the new stuff.

Someone link me something that the new guys have done that isn’t techno crap please. I haven’t heard anything other than that and I’m getting kinda desperate for some shred of hope that S3’s soundtrack won’t be absolute garbage.

1 Like

Mick is a god among men. His music is some of the coolest ever. I am sure the new guys will be great, as I am already a fan of some of their previous work. Killer Instincts music will continue to thrive now that it has its new foundation/direction built by Mick Gordon. I am not worried about KI’s future tunes and I will never forget the Godlike work Mick has done.

A little something I already wrote.

But I have a question, are Atlas Plug and Celldweller working together? Or are they rotating monthly between characters?

I loved his music in season 1 and 2 and was really sad he left…as i was hoping for season 3 there would be some consistency from season 2

The game’s music is part of the reason the game is so good. The visuals as well, so striking. The mechanics are solid. This game is top to bottom extremely good. I’m sure the new people will do well. Don’t know Atlas Plug but Celldweller I do know and his music is quite good. Truth be told, Mick will definitely be missed. All best wishes on his future endeavors.

You guys DO know that he’s working on DOOM, right?

I’ll miss mick, his work here was phenomenal. He had a hand in making sure my childhood was kept safe by having the soundtrack to killer instinct live up to the 94 original. There’s nothing else I could ask from him. The soundtrack to this game just ■■■■■■■ slays hard!

1 Like

Well Mick did an excellent job for the first 2 seasons and he will surely be missed though I do like what the new composer have done with Rash’s theme so hopefully they’ll continue KI’s legacy of great music.

That’s a shame. I was disinterested in the game itself for a very long time and followed it only because of the soundtrack. In the first few days after game’s release I was so obsessed with finding some character themes on youtube, what a relief it was when RKosmik started making those!
Mick did a great job with KI, easily top 3 of my favourite video game soundtracks. And it was an amazing project to showcase his talent, because music here is far more diverse than in Wolfentstein and probably in Doom as well.
I hope that those who replaced Mick have what it takes, because a bar was set very high. But I liked Rash’s theme, so it is a good start.

Although i do agree mick did WONDERS for Ki he for also dropped the ball a few times in season 2.

I know his work was more rushed due to time constraints but i have to judge him on whats at hand.

Personally riptors theme was the one that made me raise my eyebrow and think hmm is that really right fot riptor?

That theme inpartictial also made me realise that i actually prefer Robin’s (from rare) classic tracks.

The new ones are in part are amazing but its the classic throw back to the old track that wow me.

Dropped the ball? Dude, Riptor theme is still awesome… its just not guitar driven like the others. I wouldnt say he dropped the ball, Id say, you prefer the others over Riptos new theme. But there is nothing wrong with that piece of music. As a musician myself…Riptors theme is actually pretty complex and sinister.

1 Like

I agree, Riptors theme is actually pretty damn good…its just not guitar driven like the rest of Micks themes. Its very orchestral and sinister. 2 days???/ Composing a finished piece in 2 days is unreal pressure.
Unfortunately, Season 3 will NOT live up to S1 & S2’s soundtrack. Its wishful thinking…but he truth is … Micks theme’s will not be surpassed. I’m willing to bet the farm on it!
And i know this forum…as soon as the first new theme drops… people are gonna bash the hell out fo it…so its doomed from the start lol

No way!!! thanks for that info man… makes it even more special when i listen to it now. thank you!