KI Novella

After I reported back to Noble regarding the lack of accessibility of the originally published version of chapter 1, it was placed into an accessible HTML version (which I believe will be updated along with the image-inclusive version):
Here’s the HTML version
I look forward to reading this story as it unfolds and enjoyed the first piece of this puzzle, such as it is.

2 Likes

Absolutely loving it so far!
And, for the record, I intend to buy this book and re-read it if you ever think of actually publishing it in a physical format.

I LOVE lore and I always loved KI’s lore (not so much after that time warp thing at the beginning of KI2) but ever since reading that prologue in the SNES booklet and imagining a “Rollerball-ish” dystopian future populated by these strange people and creatures I fell in love with every bit of lore behind it. And this book is something I have been expecting for quite some time now.

Also loving the way you are tying it with the game, which makes me even more hyped for Shadow Lords mode (here’s hope that it will be my new favorite mode after Survival, me being an offline player) and especially the scholarly research behind it - Noble Smith seems very aware of world history and geography, which makes me very excited. I love how “international” and grounded KI has become.

You appeal to my tourist heart by mentioning foreign places and monuments like Neuschwanstein. You get the foreign languages right (I am Portuguese and Mira’s Portuguese lines are flawless - I could even imagine her Brazilian accent as she muttered them!). And, most importantly, for an American-made game, you guys set eyes on the history and culture of places from around the world, instead of America-centering everything, like so many films and games do. Ravensburg, St. Petersburg, Andes, Ural mountains, Pakistan, Tyre… and all those lost civilizations and foreign cultures… It’s like an Indiana Jones adventure!

Eagerly awaiting for next friday’s chapter!
A great thank you and congratulations to Noble Smith, Patrick Shettlesworth and everybody at MS and IG for making this possible. While it doesn’t compensate for the lack of S3 stages or Eyedol, it’s an immensely welcoming addition to the KI universe!

2 Likes

So is tis a fan thing? o - o It seems promising so far!

Yeah I finally finished this and wow, its amazing to see how much IG care about the story/lore. I am one of those guys that love that stuff even in fighting games so I really appreciate this. It’s awesome.

in this case it’s MS using an in-house writer. That’s the good part of being a huge corporation. You want a writer, you have one. He’s also the hololens narrative dsigner

1 Like

Good story very good story

omfg lol

Woops, at first I kind of missed out on turning the pages >_>

1 Like

Really nice =D loved the read and can’t wait for the rest. I did spot one or two typos, but I think they’ve been mentioned here already.

One thing I don’t get: what’s up with Mira’s language skills? She thinks and speaks in Portuguese (btw nice work getting it spot on), and ingame speaks English with a Russian accent? O_o

I assume her speaking accent comes from being immersed in the Siberian coven’s dialect for however many years she’s been living amongst them.

1 Like

Yeah, so did I, because I thought she’d been turned a long time ago. The novella mentions 5 years…

Professionally-written, creative and engaging – this is how all the character backstories should have been written.

1 Like

All the backstories have been created and written by the same team – myself and Noble.

We don’t use the same format across them all because they’re stand-alone items. This is the first contiguous piece we’re doing.

4 Likes

the novella format has allowed him to shine by giving him more space to develop things and give more flavor text. I’m sure this style suits Noble better and it shows, because the writing is much more consistent and professional.

3 Likes

it’s safe to assume who is the “bad cop” in this duo lol

1 Like

To be completely honest, that accent she has in the game could be from anywhere. I can imagine it being a Russian accent as much as a Brazilian one. Try to find a video of Adriana Lima (Brazilian V.Secret model) speaking in English, you’ll be amazed at how “Russian” she sounds :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hummm, yeah, now that I think about that, Brazillian Portuguese accent in English wouldn’t be that far off from how Mira talks. Hadn’t even considered that… since Maya talks perfectly with no accent, I didn’t consider the idea the accent might originate from Mira’s past as a human.

That is pretty awesome. As @Filemoncio said…

I can’t agree with this statement more. This Novella is amazing. Pure and simple. I rarely read for fun, but that read was great, and I can confidently say that if there was a whole book, I’d read it from cover to cover.

Can’t wait for the next one.

How far is the team taking this? please say this will go one forever…lol! (not kidding…but kidding. :slight_smile:)

Format aside, the novella is more professional in that it has more clarity and focus; better language, grammar and style; and more credibility and believability despite being pure science fiction and fantasy. It’s also more emotionally-inspiring.

Aria’s backstory was somewhat like that.

Either way, it’s good to see you guys step up your game.

1 Like

Maya has a pretty thick accent too :slight_smile:
Mira’s may sound a little different but I suppose we could consider some influence from those 5 years (?) living with her new comrades.

1 Like