The Complete Killer Instinct Guide (ki.infil.net) [All post-S3 chars added!]

Huh, interesting. I thought I had done that for her… guess I forgot to. I’ll try to whip up the video this week, as well as fix those earlier comments from SonicDolphin that I said I would do this weekend, but didn’t because I was playing Rocket League for 15 hours instead. :slight_smile:

The best just keeps on getting better!

Thank you so much for not only creating this masterpiece but also for constantly maintaining and improving it. I’m pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say we greatly appreciate your generous contribution(s) to the KI community.

2 Likes

After struggling with Aria, I decided to consult infil’s guide. Long overdue (my checking of course). Great guide!!

2 Likes

In the Omen’s character page, enders section.

You say that his orda shield ender is his most damaging ender, which it’s incorrect. It was patched to deal less damage than furious flurry and demon slide, as you correctly stated in the best counter breaker section. Surely you forgot to edit this post-patch.

Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

Does Aria’s Booster form Crescendo move serve any purpose? I was skimming the guide but wasn’t sure if there was anything specific about its use.
Against the CPU on harder difficulties I have only connected with crescendo once in 50 matches or so. Thanks!

The horizontal Crescendo is a really good footsies tool, since it whiff punishes tons of stuff from surprising ranges. The vertical Crescendo in the air can be used to fake movement (sort of like a dive kick) and also used for tricky crossups, although Aria doesn’t need to use Crescendo to do crossup stuff in booster body. Shadow crescendo has a hit of armor so it can be used as a situational reversal, while the heavy one on the ground is truly invincible but they have to be pretty close to hit. Another pretty common use of it is the medium version in the air. You can fly around and punish things on reaction, or bait anti-airs and then punish with it.

1 Like

I just want to say “Thanks!” but the new forum doesn’t allow me to make such short responses, so I am just wasting a bunch of letters and words.

I was always really unhappy with my old combo breakers section… I felt I didn’t explain enough about the particulars of how it works, and I used generally poor language and structure.

So I rewrote most of the page today!

The new combo breakers page is quite a bit better structured, clearer, and contains a few extra videos showing the special cases (like the 3-Move Rule). It also avoids a lot of the ambiguous language I used on the previous page. I also give a giant summary at the end for how the combo breaker system gets triggered.

Give it a read if you’re interested! http://ki.infil.net/cbreaker.html

4 Likes

This looks great! It’s organized really really well I think :smile:

In Thunder’s page, in his general strategy, call of sky is listed as a tool for stuational approaching and for punish jump-friendly characters, being this its old version use

I feel like every time I visit the site I find something new, either on site or in game.
Thanks for all the hard work, @Infilament

2 Likes

Have you seen Ketchup and Mustard’s Casual to Competitive video series for MKX? They’re really well done and cover the same kind of basics that this guide does.

It’s a little bit more necessary for MKX, since its ‘Dojo’ mode might as well not even exist, but I wonder if it would be worth it to do something like that for KI. This guide is very in depth, but maybe too text-laden for someone who’s just slightly interested in playing KI or inexperienced in fighting games. I think it would be useful to condense the basics and general knowledge from the guide into an easily consumable series of Youtube videos.

1 Like

Not sure if worth adding to the guide since it’s incredibly situational and only adds 5% more damage but Aria has a more damaging 2 bar counter breaker combo in instinct if she has both Bass and Blade bodies. Basically just do:
HK double > Light Explosive Arc > HK double > Light Explosive Arc > HK double > Shadow Dissonance > Shadow Allegro = 66%

Sounds like a lot of work, but definitely worthwhile work.

@Infilament - Should you decide this is something you’d be interested in, I am offering my services as a Sony Vegas owner/user to help with editing, rendering, etc.

@LeoFerreis @Marbledecker: I like the idea in theory… I’ve been thinking a lot about how to actually teach fighting games to newcomers. I watched a bit of the MKX series and tried to put my mind in the state of a total beginner and I felt like I didn’t really understand what they were talking about a lot of the time, so IMO there’s room to improve here (it doesn’t help that MKX’s move list is just a long list of target combos, many of which are not useful). Unfortunately… it’s just too much work for me to take on at this time. :disappointed: I wouldn’t want to do it half-heartedly and to make it really good would be a month-long project for me.

@SithLordEDP: Cool combo! Unfortunately it’s probably too situational to put in my Aria guide, because then I’d have to list similar combos for 1 meter and with other body type combinations (or state that they aren’t better than the default, which just ends up being too much confusing text).

Well if you decide to give it a go, I’d help in any way I could. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who’d pitch in either. :grinning:

New update today. Added brief notes on the latest patch to keep my history of S2 page up to date, but more important, I added each character’s shadow counter startup frames (with help from Keits). You might be surprised who has the best shadow counter in the game!

As always, info on all updates are found here: http://ki.infil.net/updates.html

7 Likes

On special moves:

“where characters live on a dangerous border between Street Fighter fair and Marvel vs. Capcom broken”

Haha, I couldn’t stop laughing. So eloquently said. And it made me wonder if you love or hate MvC…:wink:

2 Likes

If you want to get things like specific sounds without the music etc, you can always record an actual fight with the elements you need, then go back into fight archive with the music and ambience turned down all the way. Then go roughly to the point you know the sound will be and then go through frame by frame and just stop when you get to the sound, let it play and then trim it out. It’d be good to have sounds like the obtaining of instinct etc in there as they’re sounds that are really hard to notice at the moment IMO even for me and I’ve been playing the game for a while.

If you want any help with this, I’d be happy to chip in where I can.

@Infilament

I was just re-reading Aganos’ character page and noticed that you list ruin as an ender. We both know (now) that unless it has a wall behind it to create a wall crash or unless it’s a shadow ruin, it’s not a true ender (and even in the case of the former, I’m still not so sure).

1 Like